[rdiff-backup-users] How are moved/renamed files treated?

From: Jens Benecke [work]
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] How are moved/renamed files treated?
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:39:23 +0200

Hi,

I am currently backing up my servers via a cronjob that creates one huge
.tar file (non-compressed) out of the directory to be backed up, and then
'rsync's this file to the backup server.

I am doing this because in the home directories and also in /var/log, there
are a lot of files that get renamed daily (like file.dat from yesterday
becomes file.1.dat, file.1.dat becomes file.2.dat, etc) but the contents
stay the same. Thus, I (expect to) benefit from rsync's ability to detect
identical parts in files, even if not at the same place.

How does rdiff-backup treat such files? I am not only talking about log
files, I am also talking about other data files that get created as
research projects. (and I'm talking about lots of files which are
100-1.000MB in size). The log rotation process keeps renaming those files
and our log analysis programs expect this numbering scheme though, so I
probably wouldn't be able to change even the log file naming.

Thank you!

--
Jens Benecke (address@hidden)