Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How are moved/renamed files treated?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How are moved/renamed files treated?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:04:31 -0700

  JB> I am doing this because in the home directories and also in
  JB> /var/log, there are a lot of files that get renamed daily (like
  JB> file.dat from yesterday becomes file.1.dat, file.1.dat becomes
  JB> file.2.dat, etc) but the contents stay the same. Thus, I (expect
  JB> to) benefit from rsync's ability to detect identical parts in
  JB> files, even if not at the same place.

  JB> How does rdiff-backup treat such files?

Sorry, rdiff-backup is too dumb to know that a file has moved.  To
rdiff-backup, moving file A to B is equivalent to creating a new file
B and deleting A, so increments will contain duplicate information.
There have been some proposals about tracking renames through inode
numbers or similar file names, but they are pretty complicated and I
don't intend to implement them.

That being said, log files compress well, so you may want to try it
anyway in case the duplication is tolerable.

--
Ben Escoto