[rdiff-backup-users] upgraded rdiff-backup now it doesn't work :(

From: Klavs Klavsen
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] upgraded rdiff-backup now it doesn't work :(
Date: 02 Oct 2003 12:02:51 +0200

Dear Ben (and other contributors),

Thank you for a great piece of software - rdiff-backup :)

I've been using the older v0.10 or something I believe (can't quite
remember anymore), but ever since I upgraded 0.12.4 I get this
information from my cronjob:

Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing destination now.
Fatal Error: No metadata for time Fri Sep 19 00:30:08 2003 found, cannot
regress
Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing destination now.
Fatal Error: No metadata for time Fri Sep 19 00:30:08 2003 found, cannot
regress

And the last metadata files I have in my /backup/newroot are from the
20. september (when I upgraded rdiff-backup).
the other filesystems, I backup seperately (as you can see from my
script below) have updated metadata.

I would be very happy if you could help me find out whats up here, so my
backup can get running again.

I run this script in the cronjob:
#!/bin/sh
# backup up / to /backup/newroot/
/usr/bin/nice /usr/bin/rdiff-backup --exclude-device-files
--exclude-other-filesystems --exclude-filelist /root/exclfiles.txt / /b
ackup/newroot

#clean up backup from later than 3 weeks
/usr/bin/nice /usr/bin/rdiff-backup --force --remove-older-than 3W
/backup/newroot

# backup /www to /backup/www
/usr/bin/nice /usr/bin/rdiff-backup --exclude-device-files
--exclude-other-filesystems /www /backup/www

# backup /home to /backup/home
/usr/bin/nice /usr/bin/rdiff-backup --exclude-device-files
--exclude-other-filesystems /home /backup/home

This is my exclfiles.txt:
- /etc/lilo.conf
- /etc/fstab
- /var/tmp
- /tmp
- /usr/portage/distfiles

The reason I exclude lilo.conf and fstab is because I backup to a
secondary disk, which should be ready too boot my backup system and thus
needs a slightly different version of those files :)

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen, GSEC - address@hidden - http://www.vsen.dk

Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
who is carrying a .38.