Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Help With Error Message

From: Andrew K. Bressen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Help With Error Message
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:55:14 -0500

Donald D Henson <address@hidden> writes:
> UpdateError Henson/Family.20040201102336.log Updated mirror temp file
> /external/Accounting/Henson/rdiff-backup.tmp.47 does not mat ch source

The usual reason for this error is that the file changed during
the backup. This is not unusual with log and database files which
are constantly changing. There are a few ways around this problem.

One thing you could do is ignore the problem. On my systems,
I'll rarely have this happen to the same logfile two days in
a row, so I risk losing a day from any logfile it happens to.
On the systems in question, this is acceptable.

A simple but perhaps incovenient way is to stop the logs from
changing while the backup runs by stopping whatever process is
making the affected files.

Perhaps the best way for many people is to copy the log files
someplace before the backup runs; you will still get the error
message, but the unchanging copy of the log file will be backed up.

A more complex way is to mount a snapshot of the filesystem that
is frozen in time and make the backup from that rather than from
the live filesystem.