Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cron and rdiff-backup

From: Alan
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] cron and rdiff-backup
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:23:55 -0700

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 03:40:57PM -0600, Paul Steamboat wrote:
> I have rdiff-backup installed working backing up a from one machine to
> another. However I must do it manually. I want to cron this so it happens
> automatically. I think I have the scheduling part w/ cron figured out. How do
> I script rdiff so that it will login to the remote machine with out pausing
> to ask for a password.

Read up on ssh keys, which will let you log in from one system to
another without logging in with a password.  The readers digest version
goes something like this:
 - run 'ssh-genkeys -t dsa', set up keys without passwords
 - add your .ssh/id_dsa.pub contents to the .ssh/authorized_keys file on
   the remote server
 - you can now run 'ssh address@hidden' and login without a password
 - rdiff-backup won't prompt you anymore

alan

--
Alan <address@hidden> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain