Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:00:14 +0100

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:14:11 -0700 (PDT)
Robert Yoon <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a dilemma and im not sure what the best thing
> to do is.   I am currently attempting to run rdiff on
> several servers.  All the servers i am backing up has
> a large /home partition of about 100-400 gigs.   I
> have had success running rdiff backing up partitions
> of 30 gigs.  But I keep running into some issue with
> the larger mount points.   Rdiff seems to fail

What kind of failure? There is no reason why rdiff-backup should not be
able to handle backups of this size. Rather than investigate ways around
the failure, is it possible to investigate the failure itself?

> If the backups fail, does
> it error out in bash to 1, so that it knows that the
> backup failed?

Don't you have enough failures to establish this for yourself? [:-)] You
could easily force a failure with something like:

rdiff-backup /etc host::/this/path/does/not/exist

However, the answer is that rdiff-backup has a non-zero exit status if
the backup fails.

  I wanted to script it so that if it
> errors out, to remove the rdiff-data-backup directory
> from that directory, and retry the backup.  Any one
> out there run into these types of issues?

If you remove the rdiff-backup directory then you will lose all the
increments ever stored, which is possibly not what you want. If you
really don't want increments at all, I'd suggest you use rsync rather
than rdiff-backup.

I'd seriously suggest that we start with trying to fix the original
problem.

Keith