Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Serious data loss using rdiff-backup

From: Alistair Popple
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Serious data loss using rdiff-backup
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:48:04 +1000

Dave,

There is no reference to any files being deleted from /usr/* in the
backup.log file (ie. running  grep "Deleting" backup.log  | grep
"/usr" does not produce anything).  Also I forgot to mention I'm using
version 0.13.4.  Also when I ran rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir
there where quite a few errors about files being deleted from the
rdiff-backup directory, which I did not delete - here is the error:

A regular file was indicated by the metadata, but could not be
constructed from existing increments because last increment had type
None.  Instead of the actual file's data, an empty length file will be
created.  This error is probably caused by data loss in the
rdiff-backup destination directory, or a bug in rdiff-backup
Warning: Could not restore file [filename removed]!

Alistair