Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Serious data loss using rdiff-backup

From: Alec Berryman
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Serious data loss using rdiff-backup
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:40:34 -0400

begin  quotation of Alistair Popple on 2004-09-18 17:30:45 +1000:

> As the system was such a mess I decided to reinstall everything.
> Previously we had been using Debian-3.0,

This problem first occured with woody's 0.6.0-1 or with
testing/unstable's 0.13.4-3?

> however since then our client has had several new servers put in,
> all running Gentoo, thus I installed Gentoo.  After this had been
> completed I again had to check the destination directory again as a
> remote backup failed.  Again /usr/bin, /usr/lib and /usr/share had
> been deleted, this time using a completely different distribution
> and in a completely different environment (ie. no longer on the same
> network).

After you installed Gentoo, did you continue using the same backup
set?  That is, did you continue to send rdiffs to the backup host, or
did you start fresh with a new set of backups?