Re: [rdiff-backup-users] remote rdiff-backup refused connection

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] remote rdiff-backup refused connection
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:49:40 +0100

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:22:58 -0600
"Paul Ackerman" <address@hidden> wrote:

> mail-fw:~# rdiff-backup --test-server 192.168.0.253::/put/anything/here
> root at 192.168.0.253's password:
> Testing server started by:  ssh -C 192.168.0.253 rdiff-backup --server

This is both good and bad - good because it shows everything is working,
and  bad because it is NOT using ssh keys (because you've been prompted for
a password, which won't happen if keys are set up correctly). We should be
able to prove that with:

$ ssh 192.168.0.253

- if that prompts you for a password then that is the problem we need to
solve. Assuming it does, what you should have done is to generate an ssh
key without a passphrase, and copy the public key to the
~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the remote system, ideally editing it first
so that only rdiff-backup can be run from that login. This is described in
some detail at http://arctic.org/~dean/rdiff-backup/unattended.html, so you
may like to review that page and see if it helps.

If it doesn't, come back here and let us know what the problem is.

Keith

  Small business computer support: http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk
       Linux consultancy: http://www.TheLinuxConsultancy.co.uk
)