[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Serious data loss using rdiff-backup

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Serious data loss using rdiff-backup
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 01:36:05 -0800

> I have just recreated the test directory on my computer again to
> verify that my instructions at least made sense to me :)  I was
> successful in doing so using version 0.13.4.  If you want some more
> help recreating this let me know as it is something that needs to be
> sorted out (the example may seem somewhat contrived, but this bug
> was found on a production system after it caused the deletion of
> /usr). One thing to note is that the problem is only after
> rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir /tmp/rdiff-backup-test/dest has
> been run - that is you have to run a backup (using rdiff-backup -v7
> address@hidden::/tmp/rdiff-backup-test/src/
> /tmp/rdiff-backup-test/dest/) and interrupt it half way using Ctrl-C
> or similar so that the directory check is required.

Do you get the same error with these instructions?

mkdir dir1
mkdir dir1/t1
cat /dev/null > dir1/t1/1
mkdir dir2
ln -s $PWD/dir1/t1 dir2/t1

rdiff-backup dir1 out
rdiff-backup dir2 out
cat /dev/null > out/rdiff-backup-data/current_mirror.<time of first dir>.data
rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir out

I did try the longer instructions too but it would be nice to get test
case as small as possible, and if it didn't require user interaction.

Thank you for the quick response response to my late one :)

--
Ben Escoto