[rdiff-backup-users] getting oriented questions

From: Chinook
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] getting oriented questions
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:15:10 -0400

getting oriented questions
**dual 2.5 PM G5 running Tiger (10.4.2)**

I'm just getting into rdiff-backup so if these questions are to simple please just point me in the right direction :-)

I'm working on an ongoing (wip) article <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/lee_cullens/Bx3.html";>Backup::Restore</a> that includes native tool usage examples. I was just getting into some of the more "elaborate" uses of Tiger's new rsync (which isn't quite ready for prime time yet) and in looking around for various uses came across rdiff-backup. I think including a good open source tool would be appropriate and took the easy out of installing it from DarwinPorts which included the dependency librsync.
I also dabble a little in Python and have Bob's 2.4.1 pythonmac installed.

So with that understood, I am interested in ACL and EA support. First, for EA support I have installed "xattr" (pythonmac package) which is to Mac OS X what pyxattr is to Linux (though I don't think the implementations are quite compatible). Will rdiff-backup recognize "xattr" and preserve user-level Extended Attributes? Second, for ACL support I don't seem to have anything called "pylibacl" on my system and can't find it in the Mac specific packages. Is this Mac compatible and if so where might be the best place to find it (for someone not accustomed to building things on Mac and Unix)?

Thank you,
Lee C