Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: getting oriented questions

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: getting oriented questions
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:07:48 -0500

> I would like to checkout rdiff-backup usage on Mac OS X (10.4.2)
>
> 1)  Are there any other such users out there?

Well not me but I think there are some :)

> 2)  I want to use the full functionality but there are two limitations,
> namely ACLs and EAs.  The various port packages have "librsync" included
> as a dependency but do not include pylibacl and pyxattr.
>
>     2a)  EA support: supposedly with "pyxattr" recognized, but in Mac OS
>     X the proper module is "xattr" which I have in my pythonmac 2.4.1
>     installation (/usr/local/) and in the DarwinPorts environment
>     (/opt/local/).  Other than my PATH variable, how do I get
>     rdiff-backup to recognize "xattr?"
>
>     2b) ACL support: supposedly with "pylibacl" recognized, but I can't
>     find any such thing for Darwin.  The "standard" download setup.py
>     checks for Linux and Free-BSD only and quits.  Having looked (with
>     my limited understanding) at the Carbon "FPGetACL" which pylibacl
>     would, I believe, have to get down to, I'm not adventurous enough to
>     just add Darwin to the setup.py.  Is there any merit in pursuing
>     this aspect?

For EAs, rdiff-backup looks for the "xattr" module, as provided by the
pyxattr package.  For ACL support, rdiff-backup looks for the
"posix1e" package, as provided by the pylibacl package.  There are
links to these packages on the homepage.

I have no idea whether Mac OS X supports ACLs or user EAs at all, and
if it does, whether the pyxattr and pylibacl packages are Mac OS X
compatible.  If you have questions specifically about these modules
though, you may want to ask the modules' author or mailing list.

--
Ben Escoto