Re: [rdiff-backup-users] users on remote machines (uid and gid)

From: Vadim Kouzmine
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] users on remote machines (uid and gid)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:55:19 -0500

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 01:23 +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> Vadim Kouzmine wrote:
I'm sorry, two questions below were not mine:

> >>When using rdiff-backup (which I have not yet done) is it necessary
> >>that all remote machines have the same users as the local machine?
>
> No.
>
> >>Moreover, do each of these users and groups on remote machines have to
> >>have the same UID and GID?
>
> No.

This was my question:

> > Another question - is there any analogy for rsync's --numeric-ids?
> > Making full backup of the the system, I prefer to preserve numeric IDs.
> > According to man page, I can provide mapping files, but what if just
> > want no mapping at all?

Let me explain why I asked this.
I re-read man page many times. I learned that default behavior is:
- map user/group names and fall back to numeric IDs if no match;
- provide mapping files to change default mappings.

There is no easy option to just store numeric IDs as is. Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

I can imagine (actually I deal with) two situations like these:
- I backup through ssh to remote/different server running may be
different distro and don't want UID/GID to be mapped;
- I restore from remote backup on the host I just booted from some (any)
live CD, and don't want IDs be messed up on either backup or restore
side.

Indeed I don't see any reason to map UID/GID in a backup. If we preserve
devices/mtime/ctime/whatever - why mapping user/group by default?

Having just simple option like --numeric-ids can be useful for some
group of users.

> This is free software. You need to try it out. If you have problems when
> you do, we'll help. The price you pay for free software is either you
> read the documentation and experiment or you pay (real money) and have
> someone set it up for you.
I thought free software needs user opinions. rdiff-backup is a great
product, irreplaceable in some aspects, and all I want just to help to
make it better.

Thanks,
Vadim

--