Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problems running 1.1.5 on RH7.3 (Python 2.2.2

From: Vadim Kouzmine
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problems running 1.1.5 on RH7.3 (Python 2.2.2
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:51:49 -0500

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 11:23 +0100, Erik Forsberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Trying to run rdiff-backup 1.1.5 on Red Hat Linux 7.3 (using Python
> 2.2.2), I get the following traceback:
>
> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rdiff_backup/compare.py:181: Warning:
> 'yield' will become a reserved keyword in the future
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 21, in ?
>     import rdiff_backup.Main
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 25, in ?
>     import Globals, Time, SetConnections, selection, robust, rpath, \
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rdiff_backup/SetConnections.py",
> line 30, in ?
>     import Globals, connection, rpath
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line
> 537, in ?
>     import Globals, Time, Rdiff, Hardlink, FilenameMapping, C, Security, \
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rdiff_backup/compare.py", line 181
>     if mir_rorp: yield mir_rorp
>                               ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> Will 1.1.5 need an updated python (I would prefer not, having to run
> some RHL7.3 for various reasons), or is this a bug?

Hi Erik,

I run on Trustix 2.2 built upon python-2.2.3.
There is no easy way to upgrade python in it as you'll die fighting with
rpm dependencies and all the modules in separate packages and the main
system upgrade tool will not work with newer python, probably.

I found a couple of issues with python-2.2.3/rdiff-backup-1.0.4 (lchmod
code is not getting compiled in and when working it refuses to create
device files). You will not notice these issues if you run rdiff-backup
as a non-privileged user. Anyway...

I thought compiling other python is huge but indeed it's small, fast and
cute. I did following:

download/untar python-2.4.2
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Python
make
sudo make install
(optional) strip /usr/local/Python/bin/python

Now when you build rdiff-backup, run it under new python, and it will be
installed inside /usr/local/Python/ tree.

This is it, takes minutes. You don't need to add new python into PATH,
just call it by full path.
/usr/local/Python/ tree takes 48M on my system, surely can be shrank
down is you delete unused modules. I just might benefit of having
another complete newest python and not messing with the system-one.
You can now distribute /usr/local/Python on all of your servers (I use
rsync for it). 48M of code is well worth the benefits I get from
incremental+rdiff+gzipped backups.
You can also experiment with newer python/rdiff-backup just compiling it
into another directory :)

Sure developers will give you better advise, but I just don't see a
reason fighting with older python.

Regard,
--
Vadim Kouzmine <address@hidden>