Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup-statistics on OSX?

From: Jim C. Nasby
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup-statistics on OSX?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:23:33 -0500

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 01:33:08AM -0700, gardyloo wrote:
>      bash: line 1: rdiff-backup: command not found
> Fatal Error: Truncated header string (problem probably originated remotely)
>
> Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing
>
>     ssh -C <my_username>@<server's ip address> rdiff-backup --server
>
> Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
> installed in the PATH on the remote system.  See the man page for more
> information on this.  This message may also be displayed if the remote
> version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (1.1.5).
>

>     I'm not sure I trust this, because I have set up the PATH on that
> machine to include /sw/bin (where rdiff-backup and
> rdiff-backup-statistics are), and starting to type rdiff-b on the
> command line will tab-complete properly. Also, wouldn't this same
> message properly appear if the backup in the first place couldn't happen
> (yet I can run that properly from the linux machine)?

When you SSH in to run a command shell startup files may be run
differently. Have you tried ssh ... 'echo $PATH' ? (Note you need to be
careful with escaping $PATH otherwise it will show the path on the
machine you're ssh'ing from.

Also, make sure that the shebang line in rdiff-backup is correct.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                address@hidden