Re: [rdiff-backup-users] FreeBSD and xattr OS X support

From: Will Prater
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] FreeBSD and xattr OS X support
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:28:47 -0700

Thanks for your informative response, my comments are inline.

On Oct 24, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Andrew Ferguson wrote:

Will Prater wrote:
Hello,

Im trying to get Resource for support on FreeBSD 6.1.  Here is the
output from rdiff-backup:

====================
address@hidden /usr/ports/sysutils/rdiff-backup]# rdiff-backup -v5 --
print-statistics /host/cobalt/c/fun/ /backup/cobalt/funUnable to
import module xattr.
Extended attributes not supported on filesystem at /host/cobalt/c/fun
ACLs not supported by filesystem at /host/cobalt/c/fun
Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
   Access control lists                         Off
   Extended attributes                          Off
   Case sensitivity                             On
   Mac OS X style resource forks                Off
   Mac OS X Finder information                  Off
<snip>
======================

How does one get the "Mac OS X style resource forks" and "Mac OS X
Finder information" options enabled?  Is this something to do with
pyxattr?  I could not seem to get that module to install on FreeBSD.

All five of these things refer to different properties *of the
filesystem* that have or have not been detected.

Only the Mac filesystem HFS+ supports "Mac OS X style resource forks"
and "Mac OS X Finder information". Unless you have some bizarre setup,
you shouldn't expect to see that as 'On' for a Free BSD box. If your
FreeBSD box *does* use HFS+ as a filesystem, you'll have to use a python
distribution where the usually Mac-only calls are enabled for your OS.

I do have a bizarre setup. I have a NAS that all our mac clients save their data too, they are saving over AFP and the Infrant NAS seems to support the Resource Forks. I NFS mount the NAS to my backup server when backing up.

I was hoping for a way to force the features on.

Extended attributes are file attributes at the filesystem level. I know
ext3fs has them (but you need to explicitly turn them on as a mount
option) and the Mac HFS+ filesystem has them. The python module pyxattr (http://pyxattr.sourceforge.net/) supports them for ext2/ext3 or XFS on
Linux and the python module xattr (http://undefined.org/python/)
supports them for HFS+ on Mac OS X.

Is there no way to force this on a FreeBSD system then?

One last note: if the system you are backing up from supports feature X and the destination system does not support feature X, rdiff-backup will store the properties of feature X in it's metadata file and restore the
metadata on the backed-up system upon file restore. This is what makes
rdiff-backup perfect for backing-up, say, Mac OS X machines to Linux
servers.

With this being said, maybe I am in the blue, not the red.

-Will