Re: [rdiff-backup-users] why does exclude move files to increments?

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] why does exclude move files to increments?
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 01:02:54 +0100 (BST)

Hi Brandon,

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007, Chris Wilson wrote:

 I am simulating the non-changed files by excluding dir2 from my
 processing. I only want to update the rdiff-backup tree for changed
 files based on mtime to avoid the processing and I/O caused by
 comparing all files' signatures.

I think that is not a valid test.

Sorry, thinking about it again I think I understand what you're trying to do now. You want rdiff-backup to treat excluded files as though they had not changed. Unfortunately that's not what the --exclude option does. It treats the excluded files as though they no longer exist, i.e. as though they had been deleted. I don't think this is what you want, either for testing or to only back up changed files in real life.

 Here is my command for only processing changed files:

 find /test -mtime 0 | rdiff-backup --print-statistics
 --exclude-other-filesystems --exclude-sockets --exclude-device-files
 --exclude-fifos --exclude /test/dir2 --include-filelist-stdin
 --exclude '**' / /backup/testing

Umm, rdiff-backup will ignore the output of "find /test -mtime 0" that you pipe into it.

Sorry, I missed the "--include-filelist-stdin" option. It will read your list of included files, but all others will be treated as having been deleted, which is not what you want.

This still applies though:

It works out which files have changed for itself. Just run it the same way each time (without the find command). It will do what you want.

I hope :-)

Cheers, Chris.
--