Re: [rdiff-backup-users] globbing include/exclude syntax

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] globbing include/exclude syntax
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:10:08 +0100 (CET)

Hi Jakub,

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Jakub Hrozek wrote:

> What I want to achieve is to recursively backup /some/directory but
> not /some/directory/junk (among others). So, my include file contains:
>
> + /some/directory
> - /some/directory/junk
> - **

Did you try running rdiff-backup with an include-list that has the most
significant line first? Like this:

- /some/directory/junk
+ /some/directory
- **

That's the way I'm using (or almost: I'm having a '- /some' as last
entry, and call rdiff-backup with /some instead of /), and it works for
me.

>From the manpage:
  "Each file selection condition either matches or doesn.t match a given
   file. A given file is excluded by the file selection system exactly
   when the first matching file selection condition specifies that the
   file be excluded; otherwise the file is included."

The example list.txt given in the manpage doesn't have a + before the
first '/usr/local' line, which is probably the reason why it does indeed
work. Maybe the manpage could clarify this a bit more, since the example
is a bit confusing (given the quote above).

HTH,
 Maarten