Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 4 windows (no cygwin needed!)

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 4 windows (no cygwin needed!)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:01:50 -0400

On Jun 13, 2008, at 1:39 AM, Josh Nisly wrote:
I also realized that my previous patch (with the try/except) actually adds an extra roundtrip for Windows servers, since it would make one call for make_file_dict (which would always throw), and a second that would actually work. Since I have clients backing up many files over a 300ms latency link, this would be a real problem!

I vote that we always use what is now make_file_dict_old. I'll submit a patch shortly that does this.

Josh,

While I completely agree that moving back to Python's stat functions is where we want to go, I have one more concern. Perhaps it was not the CPU speed that required cmodule.c, but Python? That is, Python 2.2 may be dreadfully slow at this operation (and thus leading to Ben writing cmodule.c). Perhaps your use of a modern version of Python made all the difference, and not the CPU.

So that we have the same comparison point, can you try it again with Python 2.2.3?

I think dropping support for Python 2.2 at this point (right before 1.2.0) is hasty, but it probably goes without saying for rdiff-backup 1.3.x

Andrew