Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Permission denied errors on files that original

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Permission denied errors on files that originally have no user
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:40:21 -0400

On Mar 9, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Peter Schuller wrote:

FWIW, I am actually unable to reproduce this in a testcase. Mode matches,
owner matches, freebsd 7, zfs, same rdiff-backup. Local root, remote
non-root. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has run into this.

I have investigated further. Long story short, the problem is triggered in certain situations involving hard links. --no-hard-links makes the problem go
away.

I have attached a small script which creates an "old" and "new" directory containing two files owned by root:wheel, with mode ---s--x--x. The script must run as root (but of course, don't run it as root without looking at it - even if you were to blindly trust it there are three things to change in it
at the top).

In the "old" directory, the two are copies. In the "new" directory, the second
file is hardlinked to the first.

Afterwards, the script runs rdiff-backup on old and then new. The second run
bails with the error I have reported.

Peter,

Thank you for your excellent test case. You are correct that it happens because the second file's only change is to become a hard link.

The bug has been fixed in rdiff-backup CVS and will be included in the next release.

Andrew