Re: [rdiff-backup-users] quick version compatibility question ...

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] quick version compatibility question ...
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 16:24:20 -0400

On Aug 1, 2008, at 4:10 PM, Michael Hannon wrote:
Hi, Andrew.  Is that "no" to both questions?  I.e., I assume that the
change in network protocol means that my existing rdiff cron jobs will
fail unless I update both server and clients to 1.2 simultaneously.
Right?

Correct.

But what about the existing data?  Suppose I do update both server and
client to 1.2. Can I then use the 1.2 client to restore files that were saved when the 1.0 server and client were in use? Or do I have to start
all over?

The existing data will be fine. If you use a 1.2 client to restore 1.0 data, then you will see non-fatal warnings about missing SHA1 hashes, but the restore should succeed. The 1.2 version stores file hashes in the metadata to verify the files upon restore, but obviously those hashes won't be there in metadata written by the 1.0 version.

Andrew