Re: [rdiff-backup-users] quick version compatibility question ...

From: Juri Mianovich
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] quick version compatibility question ...
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:30:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 8/1/08, Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I would like to deploy the new 1.2.0 release on my
> server side.
> >
> > Will the 1.0.4 clients out in the field continue to
> function
> > properly if the server side suddenly warps to 1.2.0 ?
> Will their
> > data sets still be intact and continue to update and
> ... work ?
>

> No. The network protocol has changed from the 1.0.x series
> to the
> 1.2.x series.

Thank you - that's very helpful.

Two quick follow-ups:

- will this version to version incompatibility happen regularly, or is the spec
nailed down to the point now that I could install 1.2.x everywhere in the field
and expect to leave them there for good, even if I upgrade the server to 1.3 or
1.4 or 1.5 over the years ?

- I was thinking of waiting until 1.2.1, just to get the early bugs fixed.  Do
you see that arriving in the next week or two ?

Many thanks.