[rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory

From: Max Duessar
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:44:15 -0500

> I have backed-up a user home directory over time.  I now need to restore
> one (corrupted) subdirectory to the way it was a few days ago.
>
> All the include/exclude instructions I can find only pertain to backup,
> not restore.  Isn't there a way to restore one small subdirectory
> with-out rolling-back the entire system three days?

I'm having a similar issue. My backup volume is /Volumes/Backup320 and
I'd like to restore /var/mysql/db1/ to /tempp/db1 (just as a test to
try restoring):

sudo mkdir -p /tempp/db1
sudo rdiff-backup -r 3D /Volumes/Backup320/var/mysql/rcm/ /tempp/db1

Then when it's done, I don't get any output, I'm just back at the
terminal prompt. Also the db1 directory inside /tempp/ is missing
afterward, too. Anything I'm doing wrong? Can you only backup files to
their respective mirror location (e.g. only backup /var/mysql on the
backup to /var/mysql on the main machine)?