Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:10:29 -0400

On Aug 17, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Max Duessar wrote:
When I run "--check-destination-dir" I get more errors:

$ sudo rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir /Volumes/Backup320/
Exception '[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/Volumes/Backup320/rdiff-backup-data/increments/System. 2008-08-15T02:04:40-05:00.dir''

Yes, your rdiff-backup repository has come out of sync somehow. I would suggest starting over unless you are feeling very ambitious about digging around inside the rdiff-backup-data directory and recreating missing files, etc.

Also, what command line are you using to run rdiff-backup?

rdiff-backup \
        --force \
        --exclude-fifos \
        --exclude-other-filesystems \
        --exclude-sockets \
        --exclude /.Spotlight-V100 \
        --exclude /automount \
        --exclude /cores \
        --exclude /Network \
        --exclude /private/tmp \
        --exclude /private/var/vm \
        --exclude /tmp \
        --exclude "/Users/*/.Trash" \
        --exclude "/Users/*/Library/Caches" \
        --exclude "/Users/*/tmp" \
        --exclude /Volumes/ \
        / /Volumes/Backup320

I urge you to remove the "--force" option from your command. Using the --force option can permit all kinds of destructive behavior; sometimes it will silently allow you to use rdiff-backup in ways in which it was not intended (thus leading to trouble later). This is how the man page describes the option:

       --force
Authorize a more drastic modification of a directory than usual (for instance, when overwriting of a destination path, or when removing multiple sessions with --remove-older- than). rdiff- backup will generally tell you if it needs this. WARNING: You can cause data loss if you mis-use this option. Furthermore, do NOT use this option when doing a restore, as it will DELETE
              FILES, unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

Also, since you have a /Volumes folder, I assume you are using a Mac. Did you uncheck the 'Ignore Permissions on this Volume' option in the Finder?
(Select the Backup320 volume, then go to File -> Get Info)

Hm, I'm on Leopard... there's an option called "Ignore ownership on
this volume" which sounds like the same (Tiger?) option. It is not
checked.

Yes, that's the option. I was quoting it from memory. Not checked is the correct setting for this use.

Should I just cut my losses and reformat the backup drive and start
over? I'm getting those errors with any rdiff-backup command that's
run.

I would suggest that.

Andrew