Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Client dying "randomly" on 1.1.16

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Client dying "randomly" on 1.1.16
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:11:26 -0400

On Aug 21, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Oliver Hookins wrote:
Read from remote host exampleclient.backup: Connection timed out
Fatal Error: Lost connection to the remote system

The two data files it accesses last are an 8KB and a 70MB postgres data files. They don't seem out of the ordinary. From this trace I can't figure
out what is wrong. Maybe something here will trigger someone's memory.

Oliver,

If you're still trying to figure out why rdiff-backup is dying randomly, here's another theory:

Perhaps you are running rdiff-backup with a low priority? (eg, nice +10 rdiff-backup ...) In that case, my theory would be that some other CPU-intensive (or HD-intensive) process is running at that time and starves rdiff-backup while it is trying to compute the rolling checksums for the rsync algorithm. In that case, rdiff-backup wouldn't send enough data over the wire to prevent the connection from being dropped.

Andrew