[rdiff-backup-users] Archive incrementals?

From: Lorenzo Campanelli
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Archive incrementals?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:26:49 -0700

Is it theoretically possible to archive just the rdiff-backup directory for potential restore use in the future?  I realize that the restore process "re-builds" the data in conjunction with the mirrored data, but am curious if archived incrementals could be "re-introduced" as long as the mirrored and/or archived full version of the data still exists.
   The reason for this is that I keep hitting an incremental limit where rdiff-backup fails to complete (strace outputs nothing, rdiff-backup PID just runs continuously at 100% CPU) after a few months of daily incremental runs.
The quick fix is to usually start over with a fresh rdiff-backup directory, but I would like to have the option to bring back the original rdiff-backup directory if needed in the future. Any thoughts?

-Lorenzo