Re: [rdiff-backup-users] still the problem to backup linux system to wi

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] still the problem to backup linux system to windows
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:36:53 +0100

Wei, Xiaohai wrote:
Dominic, thanks for your reply.

I have a solution to recover from disaster which can restore the system to factory default. After that, I want to restore the system to latest or earlier version. I can achieve it in linux <-> linux way. I can back up the whole system to a Linux host and then restore later. It works. But came to Windows, problems happened.

As the linux system I am working for is a mobile device, and users need to backup the device to a host machine, which usually is a windows machine. So I am seeking a solution to backup the linux system to windows.

If there are only data files, it is relatively easy, there are many solutions for it. but I want to design the feature similar with Apple's Time Machine. I want to restore the system to earlier state, not only the data, but also application/application config etc.

So I need to backup/restore the whole Linux system files to/from Windows system.

Thansk James
I don't know how to do this, I admit, so maybe others can help. But I think for rdiff-backup you should try first with remote linux host, because this is the best-tested version of rdiff-backup. Then if this works you can see if it can work also for rdiff-backup.exe (the windows version). This way problems may be easier to diagnose.

Dominic