[rdiff-backup-users] Append Only Backup

From: Aleksandr Levchuk
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Append Only Backup
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:36:57 -0800

Dear rdiff-backup community,

I'm setting-up a push bases backup system where:
  many production servers connect (push) to one backup server.

My goal is to setup an append-only backup to increase security
(integrity only). Please help.

Container A:

  I've setup a single purpose container* (see footnote) to which I can
make remote backups.

  In this container I have 2 mount points:
    MP1. read-write (backups are made to this directory by incoming
SSH connections as root)
    MP2. read-only (nothing in A can write here)

Container B:

  I also have a secure network-less container.
  This container can read and write to all data (MP1 and MP2).
  It will run maintenance Cron jobs.

The only thing that I have yet to figure out is:
  1. A way to allow a push incremental backup to Container A
      while storing the majority of the data as read-only.

  2. A script running in Container B that will periodically
      move the backup data from the read-write (MP1) to read-only (MP2).

Is there a way to use rdiff-backup to make a new increment file while
the backup directory is read-only?

How would I "rebuild" the backup directory using such an increment file?

Thank you for your time.

Alex

------------
* Containers are also knows as "jails", they are basically:
   chroot'ed environments + process isolation + network isolation

Aleksandr Levchuk
Homepage: http://biocluster.ucr.edu/~alevchuk/
Cell Phone: (951) 368-0004

Bioinformatic Systems and Databases
Lab Phone: (951) 905-5232

Institute for Integrative Genome Biology
University of California, Riverside