[rdiff-backup-users] Security problem with rdiff over ssh?

From: feffer
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Security problem with rdiff over ssh?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 18:00:54 -0400

I'm running rdiff-backup over ssh with an unattended cron script using an ssh
key-pair proceedure described here
(http://arctic.org/~dean/rdiff-backup/unattended.html). My script works fine,
but I'm wondering about security. It is generally considered a bad idea to
allow root login to ssh, but I cannot preserve ownership and permissions if I
disallow root login.

Is this really a problem since my machines are behind a router on my LAN? The
ssh key-pairs are not password protected, but isn't the only real security
threat losing the private key?

Is there a way to lock this down a bit more while still enabling unattended
backups?

thx,
feffer