[rdiff-backup-users] Security problem with rdiff over ssh?

From: feffer
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Security problem with rdiff over ssh?
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 14:02:32 -0400

Great hints here, I especially liked the idea of hardening sshd_config and the
.ssh/authorized_keys file.

> Unless you lose the private key, this is secure. But double-check that
> root can login *only* using the key
> (set
> PermitRootLogin without-password
> or even
> PermitRootLogin forced-commands-only
> in sshd_config...
 Although I'm using rdiff-backup now, I was a little bit dishonest about the
question. I'm considering using rsync to backup my / filesystems, and perhaps
using rdiff for data files only. So in testing rsync, the permissions/ownership
issue is a bit different; they aren't stored separately on the server. I tried
using sudo, but couldn't get this work. IE, I have a special ordinary user,
"bak" and set sudoers to allow bak to run rsync and ssh. Probably doing
something wrong, but I'm not really liking that approach. Lots of good
suggestions here.