Re: [rdiff-backup-users] strange read-only file error

From: Alex Pounds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] strange read-only file error
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 00:04:54 +0100

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 05:43:45PM +0200, Luciano Rocha wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2010, at 5:40 PM, Alex Pounds wrote:
> > I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but filesystems are often
> > remounted read-only automatically if the OS encounters errors while
> > writing.

> .gvfs is a fuse mount point. Only the user that mounted it has
> permission to access it. Not even root does.  So, while your point is
> valid for standard filesystems, there's no need to scare for this
> instance. :D

Sure, but I don't think the .gvfs error is related to the eventual failure
of the backup. Instead, it's a result of Eric backing up his home
directory (which includes a .gvfs directory that has the permissions set
as you describe). The traceback doesn't include a log of what file
rdiff-backup was attempting to back up, but the syslog excerpt given by
the OP includes a "journal commit I/O error" and incorrect permissions
wouldn't result in a previously writable filesystem being remounted as
read-only.

--
Alex Pounds                             .~.     http://www.alexpounds.com/
                                        /V\    http://www.ethicsgirls.com/