Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Memory usage during regressions

From: john
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Memory usage during regressions
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:03:52 +0200

Hi

The same problem as described here strucked me, too: When regressing a backup,
rdiff-backup starts instantly consuming memory at quite a high rate, until it
reaches 3GB. Then it dies with a memory allocation error, because it is running
on a 32bit system.
As this means that I cannot make any new backups now, without starting from
scratch, I searched quite a while for a solution to this. But only found this
mailing list thread. Does this mean it is a rare error condition?
The system to backup is not that big: 2,2 Million files, 400GB.
Any hints for debugging?
I tested rdiff-backup V1.2.8-r1 and V1.3.3.

cu
John