Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File ownership on a portable drive

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File ownership on a portable drive
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 09:02:47 -0600

On 12/03/2012 12:29 AM, Grant wrote:
For a long time I had rdiff-backup push backups to an external hard disk
attached to my desktop.  I moved and put the desktop in storage and now I'm
putting the backup system back together with my laptop taking the place of the
desktop.  I noticed that ownership info seems to be lost from the repository
since the hard disk is attached to a different system now.  Does rdiff-backup
preserve the ownership info in a different way or is it gone for good?

All the owner and group IDs (both the names and the numeric IDs) are
kept in the mirror_metadata files.  By default, rdiff-backup will try to
restore to the same owner and group _names_.  You can use the
"--preserve-numerical-ids" option to restore to the same numeric
UIDs/GIDs.

                Do NOT delete it.