Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff on rdiff

From: Adrian A. Baumann
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff on rdiff
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 08:52:54 +0100

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 10:56:48AM +1100, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello,
> I think Dominic is telling you to exclude the 'rdiff-backup-data'
> folders located in your users directory from the second rdiff.

Good morning everybody,

...uh, no, I don't think so. How I understood Dominic is that you shouldn't
have a "rdiff-backup-data"-directory as a direct subdirectory of your
backup-root. As long as it's at least one level down, it should be fine.
If you do exclude all the rdiff-backup-data directories, you'll lose the
complete backup history in their parent directories.

To answer with your example:

/home/eric/repository/budget/index.php: OK
/home/eric/repository/budget/index.php: OK
/home/eric/repository/budget/rdiff-backup-data: Not just OK, but needed if you
want thei backup history in ".../budget"
/home/eric/repository/experiment/rdiff-backup-data: ...same for ".../experiment"

/home/eric/rdiff-backup-data: Would *not* be OK, as this would conflict with
the rdiff-backup-data-directory generated in your backup destination.

Hope that helps, my caffeine level isn't quite up to writing any clearer yet.

Cheers,
Ade Baumann