Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Fatal Error: Lost connection to the remote syst

From: Øyvind Skaar
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Fatal Error: Lost connection to the remote system
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:49:37 +0200

On 09. juni 2013 12:33, Grant wrote:
Are you running this over the internet? I wouldn't advise this precisely
because of these sorts of problems. rdiff-backup really needs a reliable
connection, rsync is better for backup over the internet. If you need the
extra functionality of rdiff-backup, either run rdiff-backup locally on the
remote system (or its lan) and then rsync the resulting repository to your
laptop, or rsync the data from remote to your laptop and then use
rdiff-backup locally on your laptop. I do the former.

Thank you, I didn't realize that was a best practice.  Is this
documented anywhere?

This might be a good idea, but FYI I currently run a nightly over Internet without any issues.

The machine running the client (ssh connect) has this ssh config:

cat ~/.ssh/config
ServerAliveInterval 5

Regards,
Øyvind Skaar