Re: [rdiff-backup-users] piping mysqldump thru rdiff-backup

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] piping mysqldump thru rdiff-backup
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 13:17:36 -0400

I've been using rdiffbackup for mysql backups for years, and currently
just dump all my databases to a temporary directory, rdiff-backup
that, then delete the temporary directory (since rdiff keeps a current
mirror anyway).  The downside is it uses extra space equivalent to all
your current version backups while the script is running, so if you
don't have that much extra space, I don't know of the solution.  Here
is the script I use:

#!/bin/bash
cd /path/to/backup/
USERNAME="root"
PASSWORD="password"

# subject for email
echo "dumpdbs report"

echo "grabbing database to dump"

# list them manually
#DATABASES="wordpress mediawiki"
# or automatically
DATABASES=$(mysql -u$USERNAME -p$PASSWORD -e "SHOW DATABASES;" | tr -d
"| " | grep -v Database)

echo "dumping these databases: '$(echo "$DATABASES" | tr '\n' ' ')'"

# backup databases
mkdir -p tmp
for database in $DATABASES
do
        echo "dumping database $database"
# rdiff-backup is useless on compressed data, so don't do this anymore
#       mysqldump -u$USERNAME -p$PASSWORD --single-transaction
$database | bzip2 -c > ./tmp/$database.sql.bz2
        mysqldump -u$USERNAME -p$PASSWORD --single-transaction
$database > ./tmp/$database.sql
done

echo "rdiffing databases"

rdiff-backup ./tmp ./dbs