[rdiff-backup-users] Duplicate rdiff-backup's temporary files?

From: Nikolaus Rath
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Duplicate rdiff-backup's temporary files?
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 18:15:32 -0800

Hello,

I'm trying to debug a problem that seems to occur when using
rdiff-backup on an S3QL (http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/) file system.

The (longish, not required reading) discussion of the problem can be
found in the threads starting at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/s3ql/EthJWIG5MJo and
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/s3ql/qSUSBokiAdY.

To make a long story short, it seems that the problem only pops up with
the temporary files created by rdiff-backup. This makes debugging the
issue on the S3QL side rather hard.

Thus my question: would someone be willing to help out from the
rdiff-backup side by writing a patch that causes rdiff-backup to save
every temporary file not just on the target file system, but also in
some other location?

It would not need to be anything pretty since it's just for temporary
debugging. This would be very helpful by allowing us to actually look at
an example file that triggers the problem, and e.g. determine if a
simple copy of the file to S3QL causes the problem as well, or if it's
specific to the access pattern that rdiff-backup generates.

Any takers?

All the best,
Nikolaus (S3QL maintainer)

--