Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Duplicate rdiff-backup's temporary files?

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Duplicate rdiff-backup's temporary files?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:12:07 +1100 (EST)

From:
"Nikolaus Rath" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: "Balázs Czviin" <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, 9 November, 2013 1:15:32 PM

Thus my question: would someone be willing to help out from the
rdiff-backup side by writing a patch that causes rdiff-backup to save
every temporary file not just on the target file system, but also in
some other location?

It would not need to be anything pretty since it's just for temporary
debugging. This would be very helpful by allowing us to actually look at
an example file that triggers the problem, and e.g. determine if a
simple copy of the file to S3QL causes the problem as well, or if it's
specific to the access pattern that rdiff-backup generates.

Any takers?

Not sure anyone understands the code in that depth at this time (of course happy to be wrong!)
But can't you just set the TMPDIR evironment variable and have the same thing happen?

From the manpage:
 --tempdir path
              Sets the directory that rdiff-backup uses for temporary files to
              the  given path. The environment variables TMPDIR, TEMP, and TMP
              can also be used to set the temporary files directory.  See  the
              documentation  of  the  Python tempfile module for more informa-
              tion.
Perhaps you mean the files rdiff-backup creates when it is copying a file for backup purposes - it creates a .rdiff.sequence file in the same directory as the destination file and then renames it I believe.
The exact system call when renaming is a pretty standard python call I believe. This came up ages ago when we worked on Windows support. There might be something else on the list from years ago that helps if you dig in that direction.
You might also be able to dig through the code once you understand the above behaviour.

Hope that helps a little...

Dave