Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to start new backup while old increments a

From: Marian 'VooDooMan' Meravy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to start new backup while old increments are being removed?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 20:44:28 +0100

Greetings,

first of all, I'm not a rdiff-backup guru.

On 2014-12-26 09:43, Florian Hollerweger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently ran an rdiff-backup while (much) older increments were still being
> removed via --remove-older-than from the same repository. Is this safe to do?

IMO, it is safe.

My environment backs up two times a day, but before each backup it
performs --remove-older-than 4W (i.e. 4 weeks). This is done by on Linux
server by cron, and on Windows environment by task scheduler with cygwin
involved.

Recently, I needed to restore backup from like 4 days ago, and I went
very well...

IMO (but I might be wrong) rdiff-backup tracks in the meta-data files
(gzipped) which are still present to backup, and only removes those
which disappeared like (in my case) in 4 weeks. ALL IN THE LIST: correct
me if I'm wrong...

so IMO it should be fine.

so I recommend --remove-older-than like 1 week, and then immediately
backup today's backup.

E.g. If the frequency of "today's" backup is more than "remove" clause,
then you should be fine.

> Although it seems that both processes were eventually completed successfully
> without throwing any warnings or error messages, I still wanted to make sure
> I can rely on the integrity of my backup.

yes, there are no error/warning messages... try your own experiment for
like 1 hour and post your resume here.

best,
vdm
.