Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup under Windows with Cygwin

From: Yves Bellefeuille
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup under Windows with Cygwin
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 20:38:00 -0400

Dominic Raferd <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Presumably there is some difference between the rdiff-backup command
>  that creates the tage backup and the ones that create the monate and
>  semajne backups. I would look at that difference.

Actually, the commands are identical.

"Tage", "semajne" and "monate" mean daily, weekly, and monthly (in
Esperanto). The difference is in how often the backups are made and
how long they're kept.

Daily backups are made every day and are kept for a week, weekly
backups are made once a week and are kept for a month, and monthly
backups are made once a month and are kept for a year. It's a way to
compromise between having old backups while acknowledging the limited
disk space available.

The commands are (for example):

rdiff-backup  --remove-older-than 7D  --force
address@hidden::/data/savkopio/rdiff-backup/financo/tage ;
rdiff-backup  -v5  --exclude  [several directories]  --include
[several directories] --exclude  /cygdrive/c/'**'  /cygdrive/c
address@hidden::/data/savkopio/rdiff-backup/financo/tage

I've since found the page
https://dadhacker.blogspot.com/2013/03/getting-rdiff-backup-to-work-with.html
, where you're mentioned, and I'll try the suggestion it makes, which
is to modify /etc/fstab (in Cygwin on the Windows computer).

Thanks.

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<address@hidden>