Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to decide?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to decide?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:44:57 -0500

    But he also asks whether other persons will be allowed to contribute
    code for a Direct3D backend when project is hosted on Savannah

Yes, I understand.  But who writes the code surely doesn't matter.

    Yes, but isn't that always the case when one develops code that has also
    support for Win32, Cocoa(MacOS-X GUI) beyond standard C runtime?

Hmm.  The cases I'm familiar with are making a cmdline program work on
Windows (usually a few ifdefs), not having a whole GUI backend
(potentially many thousands lines of code) devoted to a nonfree system.
I'm not coming up with any coherent theoretical argument about treating
them differently, though.  I suppose some GNU programs do this (maybe
even Emacs does?), in which case I guess it must be acceptable.  I don't
know it for a fact, though.

Anyway, I won't argue for it more.  If there is any question, we should
probably ask rms.

Thanks,
Karl