Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to decide?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to decide?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:59:53 -0500

    Usually, portable programs rely on an external library that provides
    this whole GUI backend.  For example the GNU FreeDink relies on the
    SDL game library

So there's no directx code in the freedink sources, right?  Sure, that's
clearly no problem.  I didn't get the impression that was what was
happening here.  Otherwise the OP wouldn't have been talking about
hosting directx-specific code on Savannah.

    proprietary support is ok as long as the free software support
    remains equal or superior) is essentially the guideline Savannah has
    followed over the past few years.

Sounds fine to me.

    The fact that the proprietary support is shipped within the project
    rather than through an external library doesn't sound important to me.

Isn't it a case of shades of grey rather than black and white?  At one
end, a few functions to make a program work with Windows or directx or
whatever have traditionally been accepted.  Fine.  But if there are
thousands and thousands of lines of code devoted specifically and only
useful with a proprietary GUI, that doesn't seem right for hosting on
savannah.

I wonder if Emacs has support for directx or cocoa and if so, how much.

Anyway, in this case the OP is evidently aware of these issues and on
the side of the angels, so fine ...

Thanks,
Karl