[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: prevent merge commits?

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: prevent merge commits?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:47:45 +0200

Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Thanks for adding the hook to prevent merge commits.  However, it seems
> that it may be rejecting other commits too.  To reproduce I just checked
> out gnutls, updated gnulib files and tried to push the changes (I put
> gnulib files in the gnutls repository).  I get:
>
> Counting objects: 23, done.
> Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (12/12), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (12/12), 1.35 KiB, done.
> Total 12 (delta 11), reused 0 (delta 0)
> *** Project description file hasn't been set
> error: hooks/update exited with error code 1
> error: hook declined to update refs/heads/master
> To address@hidden:/srv/git/gnutls.git
>  ! [remote rejected] master -> master (hook declined)
> error: failed to push some refs to 'address@hidden:/srv/git/gnutls.git'
> address@hidden:~/src/gnutls master$
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I'm wondering about the 'Project description file' part, I haven't seen
> that before.

It means the file named "description" in the repository
has only the useless default contents:

    address@hidden cd /vservers/vcs-noshell/srv/git;for i in $(echo
$simon_projs); do echo $i.git/description; done|xargs head
    ==> gnutls.git/description <==
    Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

    ==> libtasn1.git/description <==
    Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

    ==> libidn.git/description <==
    Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

    ==> gsasl.git/description <==
    Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

    ==> shishi.git/description <==
    Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

    ==> gss.git/description <==
    Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

    ==> libntlm.git/description <==
    Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

    ==> autobuild.git/description <==
    Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

    ==> git2cl.git/description <==
    Unnamed repository; edit this file to name it for gitweb.

I've changed them all to look like this:

    ==> gnutls.git/description <==
    GNU gnutls

    ==> libtasn1.git/description <==
    GNU libtasn1

    ==> libidn.git/description <==
    GNU libidn

    ==> gsasl.git/description <==
    GNU gsasl

    ==> shishi.git/description <==
    GNU shishi

    ==> gss.git/description <==
    GNU gss

    ==> libntlm.git/description <==
    GNU libntlm

    ==> autobuild.git/description <==
    GNU autobuild

    ==> git2cl.git/description <==
    GNU git2cl

So that aspect of the "update" hook should not trigger anymore.