[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: prevent merge commits?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: prevent merge commits?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:07:20 +0200

Jim Meyering <address@hidden> writes:

> FYI, it prohibits pushing trailing blanks as well, via this setting:
>
>   # hooks.allowbadwhitespace
>   #   This boolean sets whether you may push a commit that adds bad
> whitespace.
>   #   By default, you may not.
>
> Let me know if you'd prefer to toggle that for any of them.

I ran into this check for an auto-generated file, which broke my release
scripts...  For me it isn't worth preventing commits for whitespace
reasons (I notice bad whitespace with 'make syntax-check' and fix when I
have time), so please disable this check for all of my projects (gnutls,
libtasn1, libidn, gsasl, shishi, gss, libntlm, autobuild, git2cl).

Btw, is there any way I can enable/disable the hook myself?  There are
some cases where I _want_ to allow push of a merge commit (e.g., when I
push a merge commit of someone else's git repository) and then it would
be useful to temporarily disable the hook.

Thanks,
/Simon