[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Review of Chrony

From: Mario Castelán Castro
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Review of Chrony
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 18:41:24 -0500

>> First, the project is GNU GPL 2 only...

> That is not likely to change: certainly not in the immediate future.

>> ...so there will be a lot of licence compatiblilities problems as
>> most programas now are GNU GPL 3 or later, who is AFIK incompatible
>> with GNU GPL 2.

> Chrony doesn't link to much of anything so that is irrelevant.

Is not irrelevant, in free software is very important than you can
take the whole or a part of a project and merge with another. Using
GPL 2 only you prevent pepole to take a part of Chrony and merge with
another project under the GPL 3 (Or later).

>> Second, some files lacks the correct licence header, like the man
>> pages and is not clear wath licence have the files in contrib/.

> That is true of almost every Free Software package I have looked at.
> It will be fixed eventually.

The fact than most free software package lacks that headers (Wath is
not the case of the software i readed) do not imply than is ok to no
put it. It is not a ethic problem but _can_ be a legal one, IMO is
better to be sure

>> Third and last, there is no menction to the GNU movement only to
>> the linux kernel, the program do not talk about open source
>> software (Than misses the point) but nor about the free software
>> movement..

> it's software, not propaganda.  I had the evidently erroneous
> impression that the purpose of nongnu.org was to host Free Software
> projects that were not part of the GNU project.

AFAIR, the propose of nongnu.org is that, host free software but no
GNU projects; i only sugest to menction the free software movement in
Chrony, not to turn it a propaganda.

> I'm sorry that you find our project unacceptable.  I don't like
> SourceForge, but it looks like that is where we will end up.

You can host you project where you want, but you must know than source
forge is unethical: http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/savannah

My comment represents my opinion, not nessesry the GNU proyect
opinion, nor the most savannah hackers opinion, i just like to help in
the (dis)approval process of pending savannah projects. I are judging
acording to my interpretation (Than can be wrong of course) of "How to
get you proyect approved quickly"
(https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToGetYourProjectApprovedQuickly).