Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "or any later" clause mandatory?

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "or any later" clause mandatory?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:40:36 -0400

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:05:50 +0100
Sebastian Gerhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 14:43 -0400, Nicodemo Alvaro wrote:
>
> > I think it's fairly difficult, but I am not sure it is correct to say
> > it's not there.
>
> Ok, it's there.
> But I was even looking for it and still missed it. :)
>

> > How about we add another line for the GNU GPL like the FDL line to the
> > register/requirements.php
> >
> > All software must be under the "GNU GPL X or (at your option) any later
> > version" or another compatible license with the GNU GPL.
> >
> > We should also link to the list of licenses compatible.
> >
> > How does that sound?
>
> Good.
> But I think we should still modify the line of the checkboxes
> "My license is compatible with the GNU GPL or GFDL"
>
> I would like it to say you have to stay both compatible
> to the current version as well to the versions to come, i.e. to have the
> (or any later) clause in case of GPL and GFDL.
> But I did not succeed to pack this into a short sentence. Maybe a native
> speaker knows how to do this.

I wonder if it would just be better to point to the "Free Software
Licenses" requirement page. Really, a checklist should recap on the
requirements and not seem to be another set of requirements.

So something like this:

"My license is compatible with 'Free Software Licenses' requirement"
and give a link to that anchor.

My bad for taking the thread off the mailing list.
--
Nicodemo