[Savannah-hackers-public] gnu-group-projects

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] gnu-group-projects
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:37:15 GMT

Hello Savannah hackers,

For a while we (= rms, GNU advisory committee, GNU hackers in general)
had a goal of making it easier for related GNU packages to share ideas,
tips, and perhaps even code :).  This will effectively mean registering
a "super-package" at savannah, e.g., gnu-group-games, gnu-group-network,
etc., so mailing lists and repositories can be created.

This gnu-group- prefix is our best idea so far for identifying them as
such.  All groups should have this prefix.  Going to the trouble of
creating a real "category" (like gnu, nongnu, www.gnu) in sv seems
unnecessary.

Each such group will have a person as the point of contact / facilitator
/ maintainer / whatever you want to call it.  They're the person who
will submit the project registration, after rms or someone from the
advisory committee (not sure yet) notifies you.  I'll be adding them to
the maintainers file.

The implication for sv-hackers is that such registrations wouldn't be
evaluated "normally", since they aren't expected to have any associated
code.  The projects, if notification has been received, should just be
approved (as "official GNU projects").  If someone submits a gnu-group-*
registration before there's been any notification, please don't approve
it; instead, tell address@hidden

Questions, comments, suggestions?  (I can add this info to the wiki
somewhere after we're all on the same page with it.)

Thanks,
karl