Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] savane git cannot be committed

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] savane git cannot be committed
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 21:29:53 -0600

Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
> Additionally, I'm not sure why, but origin was set to
> git://git.sv.gnu.org/administration/savane.git which doesn't seem to
> be right,

That is the anonymous read-only access path.  You can clone and read
using that URL but you can't write using it.  You can make patches to
send to the project.  So for many projects that is typical.  Then
someone else commits the patches.  But that isn't what you are wanting
at this time.

> So I changed it to address@hidden:/srv/git/administration/savane.git
> and now everything works as expected.

That is okay.  That is the ssh access method.  The part to notice is
that the form of the string is different.  The first is a protocol
name with the standard colon with two slashes.

  git://hostname/path

Versus this:

  address@hidden:/path

That is the non-URL syntax.  That is the address@hidden followed by a
colon followed by the file path.  That is the traditional "rcp" form
that predated ssh and ssh then used.

If you want to use a strict URL form then you can do it this way.

  ssh://address@hidden:/path

Using either of the ssh forms you can write to the repository.

  git clone ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/administration/savane

Hopefully that makes it clear how the forms are constructed.  Either
are equivalent to each other.  The .git part on the end is optional.
I tend to simplify and leave it off.

Bob