Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] savane git cannot be committed

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] savane git cannot be committed
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 16:26:25 +0000

On 10/07/2013 11:34 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
    git fetch origin && git diff origin

Thanks very much.  Unfortunately, the results are disturbing.

The git fetch origin went without incident, ending with:
..
From git://127.0.0.1/savane-cleanup
   91a0400..8ce63e8  master     -> origin/master

And I hope the git fetch didn't actually change anything live, because
the git diff origin showed massive diffs.

No; git fetch doesn't change the working copy.

If I'm reading the a/b right,
apparently all the changes over the last several years would be lost,
including changed mysql passwords, spam handling, and tons more.  Here
is how it starts:

vcs(41)#$ pwd

Err.. I thought we were speaking about frontend rather than vcs :)

/usr/src/savane
vcs(42)#$ git diff origin
- Nowadays, 2004-2011
+ Nowadays, 2004-2006

I.e. "origin" is of 2011, and the working copy is of 2006.

.. followed by some 14,000 additional lines of diffs ...

Maybe it is based on savane-cleanup (the repository in the project of
that name) instead of savane.git (the repository inside administration)?

Yes, savane-cleanup is a wrong repository these days.

At any rate, I guess git pull should not be done under any circumstances
until this is straightened out :).

What I see on vcs is:
- - -
vcs:/usr/src/savane# git status
On branch master
# Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 25 commits, and can be
fast-forwarded.
#
# Untracked files:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
#       lib/MANIFEST
#       lib/Makefile.perl.old
nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)
- - -

In other words, there are essentially no local changes, no local commits
("can be fast-forwarded"), and the working copy is outdated by 25 commits
(WRT savane-cleanup, which is obsolete itself).