Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Non-fast-forward pushes on git

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Non-fast-forward pushes on git
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:26:09 -0300

On Wednesday, July 23 2014, Michal Grochmal wrote:

> Sergio,
>
> You could try resolving it directly inside git, give a try with:
>
>     git reset --hard 12ba11968045b5fb3da8fcbf93b5c242e9aa3c61
>
> (I assume that's the commit you wanna get back to)
>
> and then:
>
>     git push origin HEAD --force
>
> (assuming that your remote to savannah is called origin)

Thanks, Michal.  As I stated in the request that opened in Savannah, I
already tried that, without success.  Savannah's git repositories are
configured to deny non-fast-forward pushes (which is a good thing, don't
get me wrong).  That is why I am asking that either (a)
gnu-social-mode's repository be configured to allow non-fast-forward
pushes, or even that (b) the repository be recreated so that I can push
the fixed tree there.

> Or you, if you're the only one working on that repository, you
> could try to fix it using `git revert` (see the manual for that).

Yeah, I know about git-revert.  But the "wrong" commit is so
small/simple that it doesn't take much to revert it.  See, my request is
just about comestic: I want the repository to be in perfect shape, so I
want to recreate the history, specially because it's a brand new repo
(just a few days old) and it won't cause any hassle to anyone.

Thanks for your message,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 0x65FC5E36